Saturday, April 11, 2009

Web Hosting Explained

Periodically I have someone ask me if I can host their web site. I create web sites and I manage them but I do not host them. There seems to be a little bit of confusion as to what hosting a site means. As defined by whatis.com “hosting (also known as Web site hosting, Web hosting, and Webhosting) is the business of housing, serving, and maintaining files for one or more Web sites”. A host provides a computer (server) that has space for multiple web sites. This server is generally connected to the Internet by a really fat pipe. This fat pipe is a very fast and broad internet connection such as a T-carrier line. I could host a site on my home server but if by chance the site was popular, the traffic would soon swamp my cable connection forcing the web site down.

Therefore the choice of a web host can have significant impact on the success of your web site. I used to recommend iPower as a host. I can no longer recommend them as their ability to deal with problems has degraded dramatically. To find a new host I turned to WebHostingChoice, a guide to web hosting. They have in depth reviews of hosts that will enable you to make an intelligent choice on which host will best serve your needs. With the advent of so many relatively easy web creator software packages, there has been a major upswing in people doing their own web sites. If you are one of those folks generating your own site, it behooves you to make a wise choice in hosts. This site may help you make the best decision.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I would recommend "Host Gator" for your web hosting because it's very cheap and reliable. Their support service is awesome. This company offers site building tools, application vault, web mail, antivirus, Php, MysQL ,e-commerce and hosts unlimited websites in one plan. Don't go for free web hosting.They are not reliable. Check it out here (read the User Reviews):
http://Top50WebHosting.org