Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Persona Non Grata by Ruth Downie


An officer in the Roman army, stationed in Britain, receives an urgent summons home. He finagles a questionable medical leave and returns to Italy with his “barbarian” girl friend. Once home he discovers that very little is clear and things have changed for the worse while he was away.

The main characters are quite clearly portrayed. I think some of the more minor characters could have been fleshed out a bit more. I found my mouth dry in the description of the desiccated travel. Downie provides a good story line and provides an entertaining mystery set in a truly ancient time. What is surprising is the similarities to current events with money manipulations, attorneys and painful consequences. Her history and setting were quite accurate from the hazy recollections I have of my two years of Latin.

I recommend the book.

Body of work of Ruth Downie

Review: http://mastermusingsbymichelle.blogspot.com/2009/07/review-persona-non-grata-by-ruth-downie.html


Web Site: http://rsdownie.co.uk/






No comments: