Friday, June 17, 2011

Sisters brothers by Patrick Dewitt

This is a psychological western from the San Francisco gold rush days.  You might say it is a profile of two aberrant cowboy hit men.

Eli and Charlie sister were among the most complicated characters I've ever encountered.   Charlie and Eli had an abusive father.  The impact their childhood had on there well being and on their adult behavior is a major factor in the book.  I am not fond of the cowboy genre however this book surprised me.

The plot was a bit convoluted but it was certainly interesting.  I didn't find single admirable character, I just couldn’t like the brothers or even any of their victims.  However the book is populated by a wealth of colorful characters.  If you're interested in a read off your beaten path this might be the book for you.

I recommend it.

Body of work of Patrick Dewitt




No comments: