Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordon (or the never, ever ending story)






I started out loving this series. Perhaps infatuation is more accurate since I have long fallen out of love with it. Jordon tells a good story but he makes a tornado seem short of wind. I think I was 12 when I started reading it, seriously it probably just seems that way. I suspect if he ever wraps up the series it might be entertaining to read them sequentially without years in between. I have never been happy with how he ends each book and for awhile I couldn’t wait until the next one arrived. I have now given up, put them up on http://www.paperbackswap.com/ (even the unread ones) and moved on to authors who write as well or better but don’t leave me hanging for years. Yes, I realize I am no doubt being unfair, a novel is a work of art, creativity can’t be rushed, patience is a virtue, yadda, yadda yadda. I’m reflecting my feelings not necessarily the worlds. Note the differing opinions below. BTW I did like this particular cover, don’t know why.

Ok and now I just read that Jordan is deceased, that there was good reason for the length of time between his books and I am a jackass. Goes to show, he who shoots off his mouth, often shoots himself in the foot. I would like to apologize to his fans and his family for my gross insensitivity.

In continuing this post, I guess I am looking at the personal side of criticism. It never occurred to me to look at Jordan’s web site or read fan stuff, I don’t do that. My ego centric self just assumed that if a book wasn’t ready for me to read, it was a personal affront. That comes from seeing the world through the “what’s in it for me” glasses that seem so prevalent today. I like to think I am better than the run of the mill folk but obviously I am not. Thusly before I am hyper critical in the future about a body of work, I will endeavor to be better informed before I shoot off my mouth.

Body of work of Robert Jordan

Jordan’s web site: http://www.tor.com/jordan/index.html

Reviews: http://www.sffworld.com/brev/bi1232p8.html

No comments: