Saturday, October 25, 2014

Death At Chinatown by Frances McNamar


Death At Chinatown is the fifth Emily Cabot mysteries.  This mystery is a good fit for National Domestic Violence month.   It does not deal with domestic violence but it does feature the development of the liberation of women.  Two Chinese female doctors are resented by the Chinese male community. 

After reading about the previous mysteries, I was somewhat shocked at how Mrs. Chapman was so fixated on child care in the early part of the book.  She seemed overwhelmed with her responsibilities and totally lacking in self esteem. 

Later in the book she shows the character that was apparently featured in the previous stories. It was interesting to see how the subservient roles of women were taken for granted by even the women themselves.  It was inspiring to see how accepting some, both men and women, were able to look beyond traditional gender roles and see the abilities and potential of the individual regardless of gender. 

I've often mentioned in my reviews that I am a proponent of strong women.  The inability of some men to see the value of a partner over a servant in marriage is beyond my comprehension.  It is appalling that the chauvinist pig is still alive and kicking.   Personally, I feel that has a distinct impact on domestic violence which is how I related to this book's view of early women's liberation or early liberated women.  The book is in no way a diatribe on domestic violence but as I completed it going into National Domestic Violence Awareness month, I was unable to separate the plot and background from current events. 

I recommend the book. 

web: http://fmcnamara.wordpress.com/

This book may have been received free of charge from a publisher or a publicist. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

No comments: