Sunday, March 12, 2023

An Era Ending, The Demise of the Newspaper

In some ways, I'm a creature of habit, particularly with my newspaper.  For decades we have gotten a morning newspaper delivered.  Prior to retirement I seldom got to read it until evening.  Since retirement, I enjoy sitting down with the newspaper and a cup of coffee and getting depressed at the news.   I’m well aware of the contradiction of enjoyment and depression but all too frequently the news is depressing.  At my age, I tally the obituaries into those older than me and those younger than me. 

The comics are a highlight of my reading with Pickles often being at the top.  Sports can lighten the weight of the news, even when my teams have lost.  If you search you can generally find a feel-good story.  

I spend entirely too much time in front of computers, tablets, and phones.  I like my newsprint!  As a boy, I delivered newspapers, in rain, sleet, snow, and heat. That newspaper route provided me with my first college savings. It was arduous and relentless as in those days, there was a paper every single day.  I understand why the newspapers are having difficulty finding labor to deliver the papers.   It doesn’t change my feelings though, I enjoy my newspapers.

Things have changed though.

First, the Philadelphia Inquirer notified us the daily paper would now be delivered through the mail.   I don’t know about your experience but for the last few years, the mail hasn’t been overly reliable.  In my community, the mail comes to centralized mailboxes far beyond my comfort range for venturing out in my jammies. Of course, it is online but I like my newsprint!

Next, the Daily Intelligencer announced the same scheme.  My reaction is the same, I don’t want to hoof it for five minutes in whatever Mother Nature is subjecting us to that day, to get my paper which is no doubt two days late.

April 4th is the last day for house delivery for my paper. I’m aware I can get all the news on my computers, tablets, or phones in a far more timely manner.  It just won’t be the same. 
 

No comments: