Sunday, October 15, 2023

The Queen of Days by Greta Kelly



This takes place in an island kingdom in a feudalistic society.  Balthazar runs a crew of thieves he considers his family.   He is hired to steal a temple idol and is required to take The Queen of Days as part of his patron’s desire.   Tass said Queen of Days, is something different and Balthazar's crew is not receptive to adding her to the team.  Add otherworldy events, and you have the summation of the plot.

Kelly painstakingly creates her characters.   In my case, I wasn’t thrilled with them at first but as she provided them with depth, they became likeable.   My penchant for likable characters has resulted in criticism in the past and frankly, I don’t care.  I want to like my protagonists.

Tass’s mysterious past and nebulous and notorious family connections explain much of her power.   Her alienation from her own family makes a good counterpoint to the effort Bal makes in crafting his own family.

Action, mayhem, magic, gods, and explosives provide the fun but the underlying message of the importance of family, biological or contrived, is what made the book for me.

I enjoyed the book, and I highly recommend it. 


This book may have been received free of charge from a publisher or a publicist. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a purchasing link below.#CommissionsEarned

No comments: