Thursday, July 2, 2009

Hummingbirds Are Happy Birds

I have no idea if hummingbirds are actually happy but I know the little buggers put a smile on my face. My Dad always had bird feeders. His annual battle with the squirrels and the innovative non-harmful weapons he devised were always a source of amusement. I put up a bird feeder a couple of years ago and was surprised by how interesting it was. Gold finches loved the thistle and brought a cheerful splash of yellow to off set our perennial vivid cardinal family.

Last year I put up a hummingbird feeder. I don’t know of any bird that provides more entertainment. They literally whiz by looking like little tiny jets. I found lots of fun information on hummingbirds at Birdfeeders.com. I didn’t know they migrated back and forth from Central America every year. Kind of astounding if you consider how many times those little tiny wings must beat to make a trip that prodigious.

This is the kind of feeder I got that seems to do well attracting the little guys. It is the glass hummingbird feeder I liked best at Birdfeeders. I guess Dad’s love of birds has carried on, my youngest son just put up a feeder and bought his kids a bird book. They have had more fun looking up the birds they see on their feeder. They haven’t seen a hummingbird yet but they are hoping. Funny how something so simple can make you smile. If you don’t have enough smiles in your day, maybe you should consider a hummingbird feeder.

No comments: