Thursday, December 10, 2020

Robert B. Parker's Someone to Watch Over Me by Ace Atkins



Ace Atkins isn’t Robert Parker but he is pretty good.   It seemed like having Spenser periodically using quotes was overly contrived.  In my opinion, Atkins writes a good story but was trying to hard to emulate Parker.   Regardless, it was an entertaining book.   Spenser jumps in to aid his protégé, Maggie.   Maggie has stumbled into a pedophilic situation where wealth and privilege are preventing any type of prosecution.

The characters were familiar, the interplay between Hawk and Spenser wasn’t quite as biting and sharp as I recall.  There were few times I laughed out loud where as with Parker, the repartee often was the main stay of the relationship.  

I give Atkins credit, trying to emulate another author’s style has got to be hard, overall he did a good job and I enjoyed the book. 


This book may have been received free of charge from a publisher or a publicist. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

No comments: