Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Spotlight on Primordial by David Sobel #Primordial

The First Sentence…

By David Sobel

“She always liked the color blue.”

These were actually the first words that I wrote when I started my novel PRIMORDIAL.  It was late at night and I figured that I had to start at some time, somewhere.

 I had a sense of the plot, most characters and certainly the ending.  However, I had not written an outline and I had only done a smattering of research.   I am also embarrassed to say that what I had figured out about the story was stored in the flawed and forgetful file cabinet in my head.  What I knew, though, was that the first chapter would be the first murder and that the murder was all about the victim. 

 So, why the color blue? 

 I sat in my office – it was late at night again and I was just starting to write -- and I thought about the hospitals that I have worked in.  In my mind I walked through the halls, registering the sights as I imagined the smells and sounds.  I was looking for the birthplace of fear; for the seed of anxiety.  So, I drifted to the surgery suites. 

 In an operating room, blue is the color of sterility.  We use blue drapes to frame the flesh that becomes the operative field.  We shout at the med-students not to touch anything that is blue for fear that they will contaminate that sterile bubble.  We look for that bluish hue of veins as we place an IV.  I stood on the threshold of that OR feeling the cold air and seeing all that crisp blueness.

 I then thought about the victim.  She was old and frail and cold.  I thought about her prepped and draped, waiting for the incision.  I thought about her awake, shivering slightly.  Her skin, papery thin, clung tightly to her face and loosely to her arm.  She was desperate for a familiar touch.  She wanted to go home.

 And, then, it came to me.

“She always liked the color blue.”

Read the novel Primordial

Buy at Amazon

or B&N

Links:

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram


This book may have been received free of charge from a publisher or a publicist. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a purchasing link below.#CommissionsEarned

No comments: