Tuesday, July 25, 2023

The Murder of Anton Livius by Hansojorg Schneider


Some stories translate well and others, not so well.  I found this book to drag.  I suspect it is more of a sub-genre issue than a translation issue.  A world-weary detective dragged into an international boundary murder investigation is the basis for the novel.   The only thing that I found interesting was the plight of Alsace in being torn between two nations and bordering a third. 

Inspector Peter Hunkeler is tired, of an undetermined age, and a self-perceived loner.   He does not appear to play well with others.   He does an almost uncanny ability to get suspicious provincials to divulge their hard-kept secrets.   Another factor of the story that I had to research was the definition of an allotment.   I was completely unaware of the existence of such a thing.

Living in a country that was never overrun by enemy troops it is difficult to appreciate how scarred the inhabitants might be, particularly those in an area like Alsace that has a long and difficult history.

Historically I’ve got family from that area and I can see why they left.

The story didn’t cut it for me but if you may want to try it. 


This book may have been received free of charge from a publisher or a publicist. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases if you click on a purchasing link below.#CommissionsEarned



No comments: