Saturday, October 25, 2008

Natural OrderMage by L.E. Modesitt, jr



Hammor which has been “an evil empire” in previous books is explored in this book. Evil often is in the eye of the beholder. The protagonist is again an unlikely soul who is confused about his identify. Modesitt does this well, sets up a character to grow through out the book. The lines between good and evil are explored with the defining done more by action than word. Magic takes a back seat to character development and introspection by the protagonist. There is action and I think a bit more action would have helped the book. I am not sure you would enjoy the book if you aren’t a fan of Modesitt already. I am, so I did enjoy the book and wait not so patiently for the next volume.

Body of work of L.E. Modesitt

Review of the book: http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/recluce/recluce/natural.html

Site: http://www.lemodesittjr.com/

1 comment:

Book Calendar said...

I am more partial to L.E. Modesitt's Ecolitan science fiction stories than his fantasy. I rather like the idea of ecological science fiction.