Friday, October 9, 2009

Day By Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne

Unbeknownst to me there is a Zombie story genre. This is a Zombie story and that alone seems to attract a loyal following. The protagonist is an active duty military officer in a nation that is combating an unknown disease. The disease turns out to be Zombieism (?) and the bulk of the world is infected. The story centers on the survival of the few remaining uninfected humans.

My initial reaction to the story was disdain. Zombies have never caught my attention. Bourne wrote the story as if it was a journal. He did a nice job capturing the qualities of the protagonist that enabled him to be a survivor. The book surprised me in that I liked it. It held my attention and if you changed the word Zombie to evil bikers or Nazi’s it seemed like just a good story. The action was solid and the close brushes with death seemed realistic. I still have trouble with the concept of Zombies but then there are probably some poor souls out there who have trouble conceptionalizing a dragon or troll.

Ignore the label of A Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Novel and read this, it was surprisingly good and I recommend it.

Body of work of J.L. Bourne

Review                  WebSite

2 comments:

Book Calendar said...

Zombies are really not that scary. It surprises me at how easily people panic in these stories. If people were slow and methodical, they would wipe zombies out fairly easily.

JMom said...

It seems like the zombie genre is resurfacing ;0

Some people didn't like the journal format but I think it worked in this book.

Nice review.

JMom at Found Not Lost