Monday, August 20, 2012

A Guest Post by Sandra Brannan Author of Widow's MIght



Name Game…

Names are critical to my character development.  To me, it’s the essence of the person I create.  So when I choose a name for one of my characters, it must mean something to me, symbolize who they are.  

Liv Bergen is of Norwegian heritage so her Scandinavian roots would indicate ‘Liv’ meaning ‘life’ and ‘Bergen’ meaning mountain dweller.  Liv Bergen was a miner in the mountain states of the west, so why not be ‘Life As A Mountain Dweller’?  But her given name was Genevieve, the patron saint of disasters.  How fitting, don’t you think?  Considering how Genevieve ‘Liv’ Bergen is constantly at the epicenter of everything disastrous.  Actually, St. Genevieve was a man and Liv works in a male-dominated industry, another tie to her patron saint’s name.  Finally, St. Genevieve is more accurately the patron saint for disasters, Paris, and fever.  Isn’t Paris the city of love?  And fever is the pace at which Liv operates at work and in life.  And hopefully she’s known for causing a few men to get feverish in her presence.  

Special Agent Streeter Pierce’s name was chosen because I had a bloodhound named Streeter and loved him to pieces before he was struck by a car one Christmas.  And Pierce was chosen as it means transfixed or to go into or through.  I wanted him to be completely transfixed on his work… until Liv Bergen came along. 

This book may have been received free of charge from a publisher or a publicist. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

1 comment:

Cheryl Hart said...

I, too, choose names with appropriate meanings when I create characters.

I can't wait to read Widow's Might. I'm always up for a good mystery. :)