Thursday, November 28, 2013

No Game For a Dame by M. Ruth Myers

 
Maggie Sullivan pistol whips a breath of fresh air into the moldy corpse of the hard boiled dick.  (No Snicker, come on, we are all adults here!)  It is about time that the stalwarts like Travis Magee and Mike Hammer moved over for a broad with an attitude, a dame, a gat carrying, nylon wearing DAME!

Maggie's client is in over his head and Maggie finds her own head in jeopardy when she goes up against a psychotic rat of a mob boss.   The vernacular is like sipping a bit of VO, neat,  and recalling those first Mike Hammer books that enflamed my imagination.   The bulk of the references were old school prior to my birth. (I ain't dead yet but I ain't a spring chicken.)

I found the book entertaining, fast paced and well plotted.   It made me what to dig out a double breasted suit, dust off a fedora, slip a 38 in a shoulder holster and go out and combat evil.   The street wise newsie was probably more to my own personal experiences but I made much more money than he did, carrying papers in the 1950s.  

I recommend the book and look forward to seeing more of Maggie Sullivan.


 This book may have been received free of charge from a publisher or a publicist. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

No comments: