Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Under Pressure by Robert Pobi


Whew, in the midst of reading three other books, simultaneously as this, I had to close the cover on the Kindle, the tablet and the phone and finish this book.   Pobi grabbed my attention like a YumYum Donut’s dutch crumb dropped onto my plate.  Captivated my attention in one fell swoop.   Lucas Page is apparently a recurrent protagonist that may have a death wish for the frequency in which he wraps himself around flames and mayhem.  Physically challenged due to injuries from a previous book, Lucas finds himself involuntarily involved in a serial bomber hunt.

Page has an attitude which may have come from his previous injuries or perhaps only from his massive intelligence driven ego.  Page does not willingly suffer fools and seems to go out of his way to antagonize even people who want to help him.

Pobi created a marvelously complex plot.  Just when I felt vindicated that I had figured out the true villain early in the book, I found out I was wrong.   I love that, I hate books and TV show mysteries that are transparently portrayed.   Working toward the solution is half the fun and Pobi makes you exercise your intellect.   In addition, he does not substitute the appropriate word for the more commonly used one.  In other words, he doesn’t dumb his writing down for the lowest common denominator, he writes like he assumes you have a modicum of intelligence.

I was impressed with the book and truly enjoyed it.

I highly recommend it. 

This book may have been received free of charge from a publisher or a publicist. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

No comments: