Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins





I almost didn’t read this book because everyone was reading it.   New York Times best sellers often don’t make my cut.   However my grandson gave me his copy and I read it and enjoyed it.   In a dystopian or post-apocalyptic  world, a central government, keeps the rabble suppressed and reminds them of their impotence by staging a bread and circus tournament. 

With all that has been written about this book, I’m not sure if it would be possible to write a spoiler.   As I mentioned, I often shun the popular books with the assumption they have been downgraded to appeal to a mass market.   I’m a staunch science fiction and fantasy reader.   I read lots of other genres but my favorites are scifi and fantasy.   I am posting this story here, in my general fiction blog, because this is a story that has crossed the great divide from scifi to general fiction.  

I enjoyed the story, the characters and the action.   What I find dismaying is that I have read scads of equally good scifi and fantasy that have not ever been picked up by the main stream.   That does not detract one whit from this book but it makes me wonder what pushes a good book in a niche (sadly if one looks at overall sales, scifi is still a niche) into main stream success.   The Harry Potter series was able to do it as was the Star Wars franchise.   I’m sure if I could identify or quantify the reason I could make my fortune.   Alas, I doubt that will happen.  

This is a three book series, I plan on reading them all.  

I did enjoy the book and I recommend it.

Body of work of <a type="amzn"> Suzanne Collins </a>

Web site: http://www.suzannecollinsbooks.com/


This book may have been received free of charge from a publisher or a publicist. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

No comments: