Monday, January 18, 2016

Make Me by Lee Child


Whew, this is a sigh of relief that Make Me is a more traditional Lee Child book than the diminutive Not A Drill short story that I recently read and reviewed.  I was asked why I didn't like the short story and succinctly I said, "not a single head butt."    Not warm nor comforting, Jack Reacher is back in his traditionally hard headed manner.  Perhaps not as hard headed as in the past.   This story follows the formula of Reacher being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Child gives Reacher a stronger love interest in this book.  Michelle Chang, formerly of the FBI, is not a girly girl nor is she diminutive.  She is sturdy enough in Reacher's mind for both work and pleasure and she eventually seems to share the same feelings about Reacher.

Don't despair the diminutive (I'm trying to see if I can use that word in every  paragraph.) Ms. Chang is searching for a missing colleague and Reacher becomes an unlikely ally in her quest.

Graphic violence, far less graphic sex and a delightfully complex plot takes this book back to five stars after the lack luster and diminutive Not A Drill short story.  

As in most Lee Child books, I suggest you block out some time so you can read it as fast as you will be driven to do so.   I recommend the book.

Web Site: http://www.leechild.com/

This book may have been received free of charge from a publisher or a publicist. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

No comments: